They were not going to fully solve the problem of border security in Arizona, but the shipping containers erected on the border of the Yuma sector in accordance with Governor Doug Ducey's executive order were designed to plug some holes. Now they are being taken down. The outgoing Republican governor signed the executive order in August, directing Arizona's Department of Emergency and Military Affairs to build the barrier as a way to fill some of the cracks in the border wall.
After Ducey's announcement about the order, Biden administration officials sent a letter to the state requesting that the containers be removed, claiming that some had been placed on land belonging to the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation and the Cocopah Indian Tribe's West Reservation.
Arizona responded by filing a lawsuit against the Biden administration. As RedState reported in October:
“Republican Gov. Doug Ducey is the plaintiff in the case, whereas Chief of the United States Forest Service Randy Moore, Commissioner of the Bureau of Reclamation Commissioner Camille Calimlim Toutonm, and Secretary of Agriculture Thomas Vilsack are named as defendants in their official capacity.
“‘Our border communities are overwhelmed by illegal activity as a result of the Biden administration’s failure to secure the southern border,’ Ducey said in a statement.
“‘Arizona is taking action to protest on behalf of our citizens. With this lawsuit, we’re pushing back against efforts by federal bureaucrats to reverse the progress we’ve made. The safety and security of Arizona and its citizens must not be ignored. Arizona is going to do the job that Joe Biden refuses to do—secure the border in any way we can. We’re not backing down,’ Ducey added.”
The Justice Department filed a lawsuit against the state in mid-December. This Wednesday, Ducey, who will leave office at the beginning of January, agreed to demolish the barrier that had been constructed.
As per the Week:
“By agreeing to stop building the barrier and removing ‘all previously installed shipping containers and associated equipment, materials, vehicles, and other objects’ by Jan. 4, Ducey avoids a federal restraining order or other court action on behalf of the federal government. Ducey is leaving office on Jan. 5. Incoming Governor-elect Katie Hobbs (D) has called the container barrier a waste of taxpayer money.
“A Ducey spokesman said the governor agreed to remove the roughly 125 old shipping containers because he believes the Biden administration will build a permanent barrier in gaps near Yuma, as the Homeland Security Department announced in July.”
Whether a permanent barrier is ever built remains to be seen. Just don't place too much hope in it.